Thursday 18 April 2013

P is for Platform

Image courtesy of scottchan / freedigitalphotos.net
There seems to be a lot of debate right now over whether an author should build a platform online even before they have released a book. I'm not going to go into a huge amount of detail on this as many others have covered the topic before me from a much more informed standpoint. I just thought I would give you my views and ask about yours.

As with anything, I think it has to be down to the individual. What suits one person is very different from what suits another, but your reasons for starting a blog can have a big impact on how well you do at it.

I chose to start blogging because it was something I wanted to do and the support of the online community has been a great help in boosting my confidence. For me, it isn't about building a platform with the hope that my readers will then go on to buy my books in the future (although it would be nice). The readers of this blog won't necessarily be the target audience for my fiction. I wanted a place to connect with others who are on the same journey as me so that we could spur each other on, a place to be held accountable and to help with my self-discipline.

I think if I had started this as a way of boosting sales or because I felt I was being pushed into it I would find it a chore and hate every minute of it. Other's may thrive on this kind of pressure and find enjoyment in it so it really does depend on your personality.

What do you think? If you already have a blog, what were your reasons for starting? Do you think an online platform is important for an author? Leave reply in the comments below, I'd love to hear from you.



Is it important?

Is it necessary before you write a book or should you wait till after?

I don't have any published work to promote and the majority of my platform is with other writer's not necessarily readers.

I would be more inclined to read a book if it is by an author whose name I recognise.

Do you think it's important? Did you build one before or after?

7 comments:

  1. My reason for blogging is the same as yours. I started this blog as an experiment. I wanted to see if it'd be humanly possible for me to be successful as an almost-17-year-old blogger. My dream came true!

    New follower. My blog: morgankatz505.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Morgan, you are starting early. Or maybe I'm starting late, who knows. Glad your dreams are coming true :)

      Delete
  2. I started blogging before I knew about this whole platform thing. Now that I know about it I think I'm a better blogger, because I don't just write for myself, but with my potential readers in mind. Sometimes I do write for myself though. Great P word. It's the word on all author's lips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nana, it certainly is a hot topic right now.

      Delete
  3. I started my blog because I had more to say than I wanted to put as a facebook status post. You make a great point about satisfaction being connected to why people start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started my blog because I needed a place to write and get my thoughts out there. Once I did that for awhile I realized how many other writer's there are and I started connecting with them. It has helped my writing journey in so many ways but I don't know if any of it will help me reach readers later on. I see my blog as more of a way to share with others who have the same passion for writing. Simply Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it important? Yes. People live online these days. If you don't have a Web presence, you don't exist.

    Is it necessary before you write a book or should you wait till after? Don't wait. Creating need is a key element of sales. Building up anticipation and pre-orders make a difference with publishers' attitudes toward your marketability.

    I don't have any published work to promote and the majority of my platform is with other writer's not necessarily readers. My question is, are you hoping/planning to publish? If you have a future project underway, get the Promo Engine in place now.

    I would be more inclined to read a book if it is by an author whose name I recognise. Exactly. That's why you need to build up a certain recognition factor by creating your Web presence.

    Do you think it's important? Did you build one before or after? I think it's very important. I wish I'd understood the process and built a platform before my novel came out. I'm selling short stories these days while I complete my current novel. With an eye to the publication of that novel, I'm playing catch-up on building my platform and expanding my Web presence.

    Happy A to Z!

    ReplyDelete