Wednesday 9 January 2013

Goals for 2013

I may have missed the boat slightly with this post now that we are already into the second week of the new year, but better late than never. One of the driving forces behind this blog was to establish some accountability for my writing so I thought it important to let you all know exactly what it is I am hoping to achieve.


  • Write more. That one's a no-brainer really, with this blog I am already taking on more writing, but that's not what I mean here. I have been using the site 750words.com to do my version of morning pages and clear out the clutter in my brain and brainstorm any ideas or plan what I want to write about that day. I find it really helps me with my other writing, as well as improving my mood no end. If you haven't tried it out already I can highly recommend it. I have also signed up to WriYe. It is a little like NaNoWriMo but runs for the whole year and you get to pick your own goal. I have signed up for a goal of 150,000 words for the year, but blog posts and personal writing (like 750words) don't count. Unfortunately I am woefully behind already but I have been concentrating on getting this blog up and running and the fiction side of things has taken a back seat. Something I really need to remedy. 
  • Have a blog up and running my mid-January. Yay, I have something ticked off the list already.
  • Establish myself as a freelance writer. I have already signed up to a few sites and written a few content articles but I am still in the early stages and gaining experience. I will keep you updated with my progress and let you all know if I find any particularly good sites or leads.
  • Complete my as yet untitled WIP and outline the next. I have been working away at this one on and off for a couple of years now and have re-written the outline more times than I care to remember. I keep getting distracted by new shiny ideas but I am being strict and not allowing myself to start another novel until I have at least completed the first draft of this one. Baring in mind how much new work I am taking on this year I am going to give myself until 30th June to finish the first draft. Once I have done that I will let it sit for a month while I start researching and outlining the next project and then while that one percolates for a while I will hopefully be in a good position to start the many re-writes/drafts needed to have a completed novel by the end of the year.
  • Read more. I signed up to the goodreads reading challenge last year and despite being ahead for most of the year I had a bit of a reading drought in the last few months and ended up falling short of my goal. This year my goal is 45 books and I have put a progress meter in the sidebar to spur me on.
  • Try my hand at book reviewing. I certainly read enough books! I have only ever written one review before, which you can find on goodreads, but I really enjoyed the process and want to do more. 

And that's it. Nothing really, should be easy, honest. Although I suddenly feel the need for a stiff drink or ten.


So what about you? What are your goals for the year ahead? Let me know in the comments and we can all spur each other on.

No comments:

Post a Comment