- Write more. That one's a no-brainer really, with this blog I am already taking on more writing, but that's not what I mean here. I have been using the site 750words.com to do my version of morning pages and clear out the clutter in my brain and brainstorm any ideas or plan what I want to write about that day. I find it really helps me with my other writing, as well as improving my mood no end. If you haven't tried it out already I can highly recommend it. I have also signed up to WriYe. It is a little like NaNoWriMo but runs for the whole year and you get to pick your own goal. I have signed up for a goal of 150,000 words for the year, but blog posts and personal writing (like 750words) don't count. Unfortunately I am woefully behind already but I have been concentrating on getting this blog up and running and the fiction side of things has taken a back seat. Something I really need to remedy.
- Have a blog up and running my mid-January. Yay, I have something ticked off the list already.
- Establish myself as a freelance writer. I have already signed up to a few sites and written a few content articles but I am still in the early stages and gaining experience. I will keep you updated with my progress and let you all know if I find any particularly good sites or leads.
- Complete my as yet untitled WIP and outline the next. I have been working away at this one on and off for a couple of years now and have re-written the outline more times than I care to remember. I keep getting distracted by new shiny ideas but I am being strict and not allowing myself to start another novel until I have at least completed the first draft of this one. Baring in mind how much new work I am taking on this year I am going to give myself until 30th June to finish the first draft. Once I have done that I will let it sit for a month while I start researching and outlining the next project and then while that one percolates for a while I will hopefully be in a good position to start the many re-writes/drafts needed to have a completed novel by the end of the year.
- Read more. I signed up to the goodreads reading challenge last year and despite being ahead for most of the year I had a bit of a reading drought in the last few months and ended up falling short of my goal. This year my goal is 45 books and I have put a progress meter in the sidebar to spur me on.
- Try my hand at book reviewing. I certainly read enough books! I have only ever written one review before, which you can find on goodreads, but I really enjoyed the process and want to do more.
And that's it. Nothing really, should be easy, honest. Although I suddenly feel the need for a stiff drink or ten.
So what about you? What are your goals for the year ahead? Let me know in the comments and we can all spur each other on.